Sunday, April 11, 2010

Jesus Touches Matthew 20:29-34

29As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. 30Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!"

31The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!"

32Jesus stopped and called them. "What do you want me to do for you?" he asked.

33"Lord," they answered, "we want our sight."

34Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.

Over a decade ago a friend gave me a great gift. She offered to sit with me and work with me through some of the pain of my past. I took her up on her offer. Our time was amazing, laced with powerful insight and wisdom spoken over me. On one particular day she asked a question that went very deep into my core. I began to cry, sob more accurately. She got up out of her chair, came to the foot of mine and sat holding me as I fell apart.

I resisted her touch. I felt uncomfortable. She sat and held until the tension left my body. She held until I was no long uncomfortable with her touch and the vulnerability that comes with being touched. When I think of touch that heals, I think of this moment in my life.

I love how the story of scripture shows the humanity of people and the wisdom of Jesus. Once again we see him walking, going about one task, hearing the call of others and responding. This time he was walking with a group, leaving Jerusalem. Even with all those people around, he stops and answers the call of two men who cry out to him.

"Lord, have mercy on us!"

Jesus goes to them, asks what they need and they respond by requesting their sight. Jesus was moved with compassion, touched their eyes and healed them.

I love that last part of the story. Jesus was moved with compassion and touched. Healing came to the two blind men, not only physically but spiritually.

Jesus continues to have compassion on people. He touches hearts and lives in various ways and he continues to heal through that touch.

That day, over 10 years ago, my friend Nancy was moved with compassion towards me and then was the touch of Jesus in my life. She held me until I knew and received the healing which comes through his touch.

Today Jesus continues to touch my life, brining hope and healing. I pray my response is always the same as that of the blind me, to get up and follow Jesus.




No comments:

Post a Comment